by Louise Kuo Habakus
I know people will be immediately furious with the title — do vaccines cause cancer? Absolutely irresponsible! What’s wrong with you? This is why your movement will never get anywhere! You think everything bad is caused by vaccines!
Be mad, if you must, but keep reading. Progress never happens by silencing contrarian voices. This post is for parents… because the hardest time to learn about cancer is when someone you love has been diagnosed. It’s difficult to come from a place of empowered strength when panic and fear set in. The second hardest time to learn about cancer is when no one is sick. Why spend precious free time on something so terrifying? I’ll tell you why. Cancer is part of our new normal. One in two men and one in three women will receive a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime. But it’s not just adults. If you can’t bring yourself to focus on this topic for you, please do it for your children.
I’m writing this article because the best way to learn is together, through community. I know how tough it is to go against the herd when talking about vaccines. The same is true about cancer. And you might be intrigued to learn that there’s a connection between the two.
The real cancer experts
There’s a big opportunity to hear — for free — from the world’s leading cancer experts. The real experts who are independent, courageous, and cutting edge. I know many of these people. They are my friends and colleagues, they are my family’s doctors. Or I know them through their work. I’m helping to promote this docu-series because it’s all part of the same issue.
We aren’t able to make informed decisions without real information. And, the more people that understand, the closer we get to real societal change… and healing.
Let’s start with some basic facts
Vaccines are a universal exposure. Not all children eat the same food or breathe the same air. But they’re largely all getting the same vaccines.
- Over 99% of American children have received at least one vaccine and 90-95% are fully vaccinated (CDC MMWR 10/17/14).
- When I say fully, it’s a lot of vaccines. The federal government says children should get over 70 doses of 16 different vaccines by age 18.
- If you’re over, say 30 years of age, this is more than three times the number of shots you got. Over 50 years? More than four times.
- This has been accomplished entirely through two seemingly paradoxical strategies: abuse of parental trust and high-handed coercion.
- Every single state mandates vaccines as a condition of daycare and school admission.
- The vaccine schedule has never been tested as administered for safety or efficacy.
- Children are sicker than ever — with chronic, autoimmune, neurodevelopmental disorders that are through the roof and of “unknown etiology” (i.e., no one knows why).
- Incidence of all chronic pediatric conditions escalated after we sharply increased the number of vaccines.
This doesn’t prove anything. It doesn’t disprove anything either. More to the point, it does not validate what we are doing.
What we are doing is unprecedented in the history of mankind. We did not evolve, over thousands of years, with this kind of exposure. I’m not just talking about the human body’s ability to handle what’s in the vaccines. I’m also talking about this degree of artificial manipulation of the immune system. Human babies did not encounter the simultaneous, repeated, and cumulative injections of many dozens of different kinds of bacterial and viral material — whether attenuated live or inactivated toxoid or genetically engineered recombinant — during their peak neurodevelopmental window, starting on the day of birth through three years of age.
Parents who know this are understandably puzzled when they are accused of being crazy because they assert their right not to vaccinate their children.
Cancer in children is a big problem
You will hear that there have been major advances in the cure rate of cancer but that obscures a single compelling fact. The incidence of childhood cancer is up. A lot. The following information is courtesy of CureSearch.org:
- Cancer occurs across all ages, ethnic and socio-economic groups and remains the number one cause of death by disease in children.
- The number of diagnosed cases annually has not declined in 20 years. The average age is six.
- 12% of children diagnosed with cancer do not survive.
- There are 375,000 adult survivors of children’s cancer in the United States (1 in 530 adults ages 20-39) — 60% suffer late-effects, such as infertility, heart failure and secondary cancers.
What we are talking about is an epic amount of suffering.
What does vaccine safety research say?
There is so little vaccine safety research, it boggles the mind. Equally distressing is the fact that we rely upon vaccine makers to do the research for product approval and licensure.
The outright inadequacy of vaccine safety research is acknowledged by the federal government. Here is a sampling of the language used by the government-hired think tank, The Institute of Medicine, in their Reports on Vaccine Safety over a fifteen-year period:
“[M]any gaps and limitations in knowledge… inadequate understanding of the biological mechanisms… insufficient or inconsistent information… inadequate size of length of follow-up… limited capacity of existing surveillance systems…few experimental studies…”
“Clearly, if research capacity and accomplishment in these areas are not improved, future reviews of vaccine safety will be similarly handicapped.”
You can read more in our book, Vaccine Epidemic. There you can also find out the percentage of the total vaccine budget that’s spent on safety versus promotion and distribution. (All right, I’ll tell you… it’s 1/2 of 1%.)
NOT TESTED FOR CANCER
Vaccine makers don’t test vaccines for their potential to cause cancer.
Yup. It’s not on them. They are crystal clear about it. Every single vaccine package insert says it. I know because I looked. As an example, here’s what Merck says about its MMR vaccine:
M-M-R II has not been evaluated for carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or potential to impair fertility.
Parents should know that every vaccine administered to their children has not been evaluated for its ability to cause cancer, genetic mutation, or infertility.
I urge you to go look, too. Here are package inserts for every FDA-approved vaccine.
What you’ll find is sobering. Let’s take the Hepatitis B vaccine as an example. If you open Merck’s RECOMBIVAX HB Hepatitis B vaccine package insert (go to page 4, under ADVERSE REACTIONS), you’ll see data for sample size and observation period used to justify licensure of this product given to newborns:
In three clinical studies, 434 doses of RECOMBIVAX HB, 5 mcg, were administered to 147 healthy infants and children (up to 10 years of age) who were monitored for 5 days after each dose. Injection site reactions and systemic adverse reactions were reported following 0.2% and 10.4% of the injections, respectively. The most frequently reported systemic adverse reactions (>1% injections), in decreasing order of frequency, were irritability, fever (>101°F oral equivalent), diarrhea, fatigue-weakness, diminished appetite, and rhinitis.
If this vaccine was associated with increased cancer incidence, how much of it do you think they’d capture in 5 days?
I will also add that, in my lectures, parents are horrified to learn that safety testing for a vaccine given to newborns was conducted on only 147 children, and these children were significantly older and prescreened for health.
But can vaccines cause cancer?
Vaccines are biologics. They are a pharmaceutical product derived from animals, humans, or insects. There are many different types of vaccines (i.e., live attenuated, killed, inactivated toxoid, subunit/conjugate), and they are produced from different types of cells (i.e., primary, diploid, continuous cell lines).
Biological vaccines are not safe in any form. Anyone who takes issue with that is going to apply a relativist argument. There are things that can be done to make them safer but parents must know that this is a different discussion. Vaccine makers do not prioritize safety above all else — they try to balance a number of competing variables. In order to improve a vaccine’s effectiveness, price, or time to market, it almost always comes down to a tradeoff with safety. For example:
- The antigenic material in vaccines is expensive. To use less of it, they’ll add an aluminum adjuvant.
- Single dose vials are expensive. To reduce cost, they’ll add the mercury-based preservative thimerosal to multi-dose vials (yes, they’re still doing this in some vaccines, including the flu shot given to babies as young as 6 months of age).
- Cells cannot replicate indefinitely. They reach what’s called the Hayflick Limit and this is the reason that vaccine makers love to culture viruses on continuous or immortal cell lines.
CONTINUOUS CELL LINES?
Normal cells can only divide a finite number of times before they break down by apoptosis (programmed cell death). Some cells, however, mutate and keep going and going. We’re not talking about stem cells here. We’re talking about cancer. Some vaccines are grown on cancerous tissue. The most prominent example of this is the HeLa cell line. Jonas Salk’s polio vaccine used these cells. The story of Henrietta Lacks at the hands of the medical establishment is so reprehensible that it makes me hyperventilate just thinking about it. If you haven’t read the book about her life, go get it now. It will give you some insight into the varied ways that ethical shades of gray in medicine become black and white.
So… if you get a shot that is cultured on continuous cell lines, then you are injecting biologic material grown on neoplastic or cancerous tissue. And there are deep, deep concerns that these cells might be contaminated with occult oncogenic agents that can cause cancer. You can read what the FDA says about it here and here. And in this Scientific American article, a professor who studies a contagious cancer says that injecting someone with cancerous cells can cause cancer.
The European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products provided this 2001 position statement on the use of tumourigenic cells of human origin for the production of biologics, highlighting harrowing risks including gene mutation, translocation generating a novel gene, or the presence of biologically active bacterial or viral oncogenes. While EMEA’s focus was on cells of human origin — which happen to be used in the rubella, hepatitis A, chickenpox, polio, rabies, and the smallpox vaccines — these risks also exist for biologics, including all remaining vaccines, made from cells of animal and insect origin.
The inactivated polio vaccine is cultured on Vero or kidney cells from the African green monkey. The Vero cell line is a continuous cell line. (Read what former Merck vaccine chief Maurice Hilleman had to say about how the polio vaccine caused cancer via SV40 contamination from the “greens” (monkeys).
We are moving away from primary and diploid cell culture systems and towards the use of continuous cell lines. (Read about CCLs in History of Vaccine Development.) This should not come as a surprise, as pandemic vaccine development requires large scale manufacture with process parameters that can be ramped up very quickly and run smoothly and cost-effectively.
Adventitious agents are bacteria, viruses, mycoplasma, fungi, and other pathogenic material that are unintentionally introduced. It happens. It causes cancer (among other problems). It cannot be prevented. The problem is that you can’t screen for something that you don’t know (or won’t admit) exists. And there’s that pesky tradeoff with cost again. It’s expensive to screen and filter these things out.
Peek at this FDA presentation called Unexpected Finding of Adventitious Agent in a Biological Product (just in case it gets taken down, access the PDF here). It explains in some hair raising detail what our government knows. See below. For example, note their repeated use of quotations around “free” of adventitious agents… their admission that they missed adventitious agents in the past and that new agents are being discovered… and the risk/reward tradeoff they’re making for us.
- Stringent regulatory requirements in place to ensure, to the extent possible, that products are “free” of adventitious agents. (slide #4)
- New technologies have the potential to detect adventitious agents not previously known or detected… (slide #10)
- Formalin inactivation did not completely inactivate SV40 (slide #11)
- More sensitive PCR assay showed that previously undetectable quantities of reverse transcriptase [from endogenous avian retrovirus] were present in some vaccines (e.g. measles) produced in avian cells. (slide #11)
- [B]enefits of vaccination far outweigh any remote risk of vCJD [human form of mad cow disease]. (slide #13)
Sometimes, when government and industry are caught flat-footed, as happened with the pig viruses found in the rotavirus vaccine, they’ll argue that it’s not known to cause disease in humans. They might use the word safe. But we know they mean “safe” and that you’d prefer to make the decision for your children rather than have them make it for you.
The truth about cancer
Vaccines are just the tip of the cancer iceberg. We have a lot of inconvenient questions that disturb a $125+ billion industry. Many people are afraid to tell the truth but not all. If you want to know more, then you’ll want to check out this new docu-series. Here’s the trailer:
- Biologicals: Cell Substrates – World Health Organization
- Biologics and Vaccines – CCAC/Good Animal Practice in Science
- Cell-based Flu Vaccines, CDC
- Cell-Culture-Based Vaccine Production: Technological Options, Engineering and Vaccine Production for an Influenza Pandemic – National Academy of Engineering – 2006
- Designer Cells as Substrates for the Production of Viral Vaccines – FDA Briefing Package
- History of Vaccine Development, Stanley Plotkin – 2011
- Points to consider in the characterization of cell lines used to produce biologicals – Kathryn C. Zoon, PhD, Director, CBER, FDA – 1993
- Position Statement on the Use of Tumourigenic of Human Origin for the Production of Biologics
- Unexpected Finding of Adventitious Agent in a Biological Product: A Regulatory Perspective – Karen Midthun, MD, Director, CBER, FDA – 2010
- Vaccines and Animal Cell Technology, ACTIP – 2013
- Vatican letter regarding the liceity of vaccinating children with vaccines derived from terminated human fetuses – Cardinal Elio Sgreccia – 2005
- Vero cell platform in vaccine production: Moving towards cell-culture based viral vaccines – Expert Rev Vaccines – 2009
Louise Kuo Habakus is the founding director of Fearless Parent™, lead host and producer of Fearless Parent Radio™, and mom of two. She is a published author and runs the non-profits Center for Personal Rights and Health Freedom Action. Louise was a Bain consultant and a C-level executive in the financial services industry. She holds two degrees from Stanford University. She is an advisory board member of GreenMedInfo, S*HE Living TV, and The Documenting Hope Project.